Why Moms Should Own Coconut Oilby Elizabeth MacDonald
If coconut oil isn't in your pantry already, it should be.
What is Coconut Oil?
“The oil that is derived from the fruit of the coconut tree is known as coconut oil. There are a few different types of coconut oil that are available in the market today. Virgin coconut oil refers to the type of coconut oil that isn’t processed and is unrefined. The cold pressed variant of coconut oil refers to the process in which the oil has been pressed out of the coconut fruit. The ‘cold pressed’ hints at the process used to derive the oil.”
Coconut Oil Benefits
Coconut oil is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory. Over the last few years, research has confirmed that coconut oil is one of the healthiest and handiest products we can keep in our homes.
We recommend organic, cold-pressed, extra-virgin coconut oil. It’s the healthiest!
Coconut Oil For Baby:
Cradle Cap: A flaky scalp.
- Massage some coconut oil on your baby’s scalp and let the oil stay on for some time; then use a baby comb or baby hair brush with very soft bristles to brush off the flakes. Rinse with warm water.
Eczema: a skin condition in which the skin becomes very dry and itchy.
- Massage your baby with coconut oil before or after bath time and once at bedtime to moisturize. With regular care, the eczema should decrease.
Diaper Rash Cream:
- You can apply coconut oil regularly as a natural antibacterial barrier. But for a rash, it is a natural treatment.
Baby tooth paste
- Use a small amount on baby’s gums for a natural toothpaste.
- Use as a natural anti-viral and anti-bacterial moisturizer around baby’s nose when feeling sick.
- Warm coconut oil between your hands and massage baby.
Homemade Vapor Rub
- A few drops of baby safe essential oils to several tablespoons of coconut oil make for a safe vapor rub alternative!
- Rub a small amount of coconut oil on the dry lips.
- Coconut Oil can improve swelling and redness as well as reduce pain/itchiness.
Homemade Baby Bath Wash
- Mix equal parts coconut oil and castor oil to use during bath time.
- Rub the coconut between your hands to warm it and apply gently to baby’s skin.
Hand, Foot, and Mouth Virus
- Apply to sore areas of the mouth, lips, feet, and hands.
Thrush (Candida): A common yeast infection that shows up as a rash in the diaper area or in the baby’s mouth. It may look like milk spots on your baby’s tongue and mostly affects babies within two months after birth.
- If you are breastfeeding, you can drink a spoon of coconut oil each day to help your baby get the benefits through your breast milk.
- You can also rub coconut oil between your fingers to make it warm and apply a little bit on and around your nipples just before you are about to breastfeed your baby. As your baby starts to breastfeed, the coconut oil that you have put on the nipples will go into your baby’s mouth and help relieve the symptoms of thrush!
- Apply a little bit of coconut oil on your baby’s teethers. Its anti-bacterial properties will ensure that your baby is not at risk of getting any infection during this time.
Hair: Frizzy, Dry, Unmanageable Hair
- Apply a small amount during bath time and rinse out. Then comb hair as normal.
Coconut Oil for Mom:
Group B Strep
- Studies show that coconut oil can inactivate a number of bacteria infections including Group B Strep. Coconut Oil may also be beneficial in preventing general bacterial and viral infections, which may help a pregnant woman fight off bacteria keeping her pregnancy illness free.
- Coconut oil may help expecting moms avoid or control gestational diabetes because it balances blood sugar levels.
- Take a spoonful of coconut oil 20 minutes before a meal to help curb your hunger.
- Please note that pregnancy and breastfeeding are not ideal times to try to diet, but including coconut oil as a healthy fat is more than beneficial!
Increase Milk Supply
- Increase your milk supply and give your babies a boost of nutrients by adding coconut oil into your diet. A few tablespoons daily may increase your milk supply and add benefits for up to 1-3 days.
- Gently remove your makeup by rubbing coconut oil between your hands so it becomes a liquid and rub away waterproof mascaras, foundations, and makeup – softening and moisturizing your skin the process!
- Coconut oil contains powerful antioxidants and is effective for treating wrinkles.
- Cook using coconut oil instead of olive or vegetable oil for a healthier meal. Other oils can become toxic and create free radicals when heated at high temperatures.
- Rub coconut oil on your pregnant or postpartum belly for relief from itching and as a precaution or treatment for stretch marks.
- Speed up your flu recovery with coconut oil! The acid found in coconut oil can penetrate the protective shell around viruses. Using coconut oil regularly may help prevent virus infection as well. Cook with it, include a spoonful in your smoothie, oil pull, etc.
Homemade Face Wash
- Mix equal parts castor oil and coconut oil for a toxin-free face wash
- Just switch your shaving cream for coconut oil for smoother softer skin.
- Rubbing coconut oil on the inside of the wrist and forearm can calm an upset stomach.
- The BEST natural lubricant
Oil Pulling with Coconut OilIt is reported that oil pulling with coconut oil can help with:
- Back and Neck Pain
- Bad Breath
- Chronic Fatigue
- Crohn’s Disease
- Dental Cavities
- Migraine Headaches
- Mucous Congestion
- Peptic Ulcers
- Periodontal Disease
- Bleeding Gums
- Tooth Abscess