A Mother's #30DaysofThanksby Elizabeth MacDonald
As mothers, we do a lot. (That’s the understatement of the year.) It's easy to get caught up in the business of parenthood, and when we do, the days all seem to roll into one. Good thing November shows up out of nowhere and reminds us that in the middle of the holiday season that we need to slow down and remember we are grateful.
Social media platforms will be filled with #30DaysofThanks, and it will (as always) be wonderfully uplifting. If you think you may struggle to create new posts each day, go ahead and steal from our list this year.
A Mother's #30DaysofThanks
The Most Obvious 5:
1. Potty Trained Toddlers. Wiping a butt on the toilet is better than wiping one during a soiled diaper change.
2. Laundry that has not only been folded, but that has been properly put away. (Not shoved into drawers or thrown onto the closet floor.)
5. Tiny Humans. The whole reason you are a mom and can relate to every other mother who has lost her sanity and has her heart running around outside of her body.
The Rest of the List:
6. Support System. A partner, extended family, and close friends all fall into the life-saving category of motherhood. It takes a village.
7. Old Friends. Friends that are always a phone call away.
8. New Friends. The ones you know you have a connection with… the ones that you will call “old friends” in the future.
9. Your Children's Friends. Watching your child grow into an independent person and handle life in all her glory will always take your breath away!
10. Your Husband’s Friends. Friends who will grab a beer with him and listen to his work issues.
11.Leggings. They will never go out of style so long as mothers have a say.
12. The Babysitter. May yours be worthy of a social media post.
13. Freedom to Parent. Having the right to make choices for your child - medical, educational, religious, etc. These rights are yours to research and decide upon.
14. Changing Seasons. This time of year reminds you of just how fast time passes. Snuggle more, hug more, love more.
15. Boundaries. Boundaries will always make you a better parent (and human).
16. Work. Your work; your partner's work, the thing that provides the cash in the bank.
17. Balance. There is so much to juggle: marriage, family, work, house, and self – it’s a lot. It's neverending, but somehow you do it day in and day out.
18. Forgiveness and Hope – We seem to hurt the ones we love the most - or the ones we appreciate the least, but in all honesty, these are the people who are constants in our lives. Asking for forgiveness -and granting it- is truly a blessing to be thankful for.
19. Time. It passes so slowly in the moments but so quickly in between. It's a gift needing to be reminded of.
20. Research and Technology. The world is at our fingertips, literally. You can rightfully earn your Google degree - and become a better human because of it.
21. Travel. Vacations make the soul happy.
22. Vegetable Gardens. teaching your child where food comes from will teach him about so much more than dinner.
23. Good Food. the best food is always served on a plate that you didn't set, and one that you won't have to clean up.
24.Breastfeeding. Seriously, your boobs have the power to keep a baby healthy.
25. House Cleaning Services – no explanation needed.
26. Baby Carriers. Hands-free? ABSOLUTELY.
27. Wine. YOU KNEW IT WOULD MAKE THE LIST.
28. Smart Phones –You can record, snap a photo, and edit it all within moments – and then send it to whomever you want with the swipe of a finger. Gone are the days when a third child has no baby pictures!
29. Social Media – As much as a love/hate relationship we all have with social media; it connects us to one another and allows relationships to continue without much effort.
30. The Future – You do not want to take the future for granted, as it is never a guarantee, but it is a beautiful thing to dream about... Imaging your children grown and exploring the world, enjoying a glass of wine as you laugh and love together.