Sex is Good For You
I covered why you should be having sex while pregnant, but what about when you aren’t pregnant? Of course you know that sex can be great, but do you actually know why sex should be part of your weekly (or more often) routine?Even if you think you know, read on! I have some wonderful news about just how wonderful sex is for you.
A Roll in the Hay Keeps the Doctor AwayAs oxytocin increases, so do hormones known as endorphins, which in turn lessens feelings of pain related to everything from headaches and arthritis to symptoms of PMS. It can also help you to get a better night’s sleep! Sex is a form of physical activity that gives your heart a workout. Those who have a desire for frequent sex (and frequently have it) are healthier overall than those who do not. Maybe more doctors should be recommending sex as an addition to diet and exercise for a healthy lifestyle.
Top Benefits of SexMen who have sex twice a week reduce their chance of a heart attack by 50%. Having sex just once a week can result in:
- A Boosted Immune System: Take fewer sick days with more frequent sex.
- Fewer Colds: An increase in immunoglobulin A (an antibody that fights infection) occurs when sex takes place.
- Immune System: This increase in immunoglobulin A reduces the need for the immune system to even be activated. This antibody will fight off illness on its own.
- Sex just once a week strengthens the immune system 30%.
- Stress Reduction: Frequent sex causes the body to physically handle stress better. Research shows that sex triggers the body to release natural “happy” chemicals that help ease stress and boost pleasure.
- Lower Risk of Heart Disease:
- Lower Blood Pressure: Sex lowers blood pressure, which in turn lowers risks of heart disease.
- Cholesterol: Sex lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol.
- PMS and The Woman’s Cycle:
- Your Period: frequent sex is linked to more predictable periods because of the exposure to male pheromones.
- Exercise: Sex can tone the abs, gluts, hamstrings, and any other muscle you can think of. It’s a full body workout. Research recently revealed that sex burns about 4 calories a minute for men and 3 for women. It can also help you maintain your flexibility and balance.
- Beauty: Increase in estrogen, caused by sex, improves the appearance of the hair, skin, and nails.
- Memory: Improved memory due to the increased blood flow to the brain.
- Motivation: The release of endorphins during sex trigger feelings of motivation.
- Self-Esteem: Fostering a sexual relationship boosts confidence.
- Bonding and Strengthening a Relationship: A sexually confident couple tends to have a strong bond and feel close enough to confide in one another and communicate well.
- Longer Life: That’s right, frequent sex is linked to longer lifespan.
- Hormonal Balance: Equivalent to a good workout, sex keeps levels of estrogen and testosterone in balance.
- Pain Relief: Sex releases pain-reducing hormones and helps to reduce the following:
- Back Pain
- Leg Pain
- Menstrual Cramps
- Studies show that women have increased pain tolerance and decreased pain detection during vaginal stimulation and orgasm.
- Reduce Risk of Cancer: Men who ejaculate at least 21 times a month have a lower risk of prostate cancer.
- Sleep Improvement: The relaxation-inducing hormone prolactin is released after sex (after orgasm) and helps you drift to dreamland. The oxytocin produced also aids sleep.
- Boost the Libido: The more you have sex, the more you want to have sex. A mental and physical connection is made during this time, and the body will crave it again and again.
- Improved Bladder Control: Sex strengthens the pelvic floor muscles, which contract during an orgasm. (You can also perform you kegel exercises during sex).
- Regain Focus: When the mind is worried or cannot complete a task, sex can be a great distraction. A distraction that will put your mind at ease and allow you to refocus on the task at hand afterward.
- Overall Happiness: A person having sex is typically more joyful, kind, and happy than one who is not having sex.