Winter Maternity Clothes: Save vs Splurge
Bundling up in the winter is already depressing, but adding the pregnancy weight may just make us you feel like a roasted marshmallow. Find the key pieces to make you feel comfortable, warm, and less-marshmallow-like.
A few things to consider before dropping your entire savings account on maternity fashion wear:
- Pregnancy does not last forever. Spending a fortune on a few months’ worth of clothing makes ZERO sense in my book…
- You will go back to your normal size – As long as you are not eating boxes of Krispy Kreme, and are staying healthy by only eating for one throughout your pregnancy, the weight gain will not be overwhelming – and the weight loss will happen without much effort. If you are over-indulging, then, yes, you will be wearing larger clothing for a bit longer than you hope.
- Will you have more children? Even if you plan on more kids, you may not be pregnant in the winter. So try to find maternity pieces that are more versatile for whatever the season. Things like tank tops, under shirts, thin long sleeves, leggings, skirts, etc should work well year-round.
- Your boobs will NOT go back to normal (at least mine haven’t) – investing in great bras is a must. But wait until baby is here and has been nursing for awhile. There is a huge difference in sizes between pre-pregnancy boobies, pregnant breasts, engorgement boobs, and nursing “milkies.” Oh and then there are my boobs over here that have gone through 5 pregnancies and 80 months of nursing so far. There is no hope but a good bra for them at this point. You will need high quality, supportive nursing bras, sports bras, and post breast-feeding bras. Just save a fortune, because that’s what you’ll spend in this area. Crappy quality will have you hating all of the clothing you buy – a good bra makes every top look great.
- Dressing in layers is the smartest way to survive Winter. Yes, it is cold. BUT, you have an internal heater, and every place you walk into will be blasting the heat.
- You will want post-baby clothes – Save some money to shop for the post-partum period!
Winter Maternity Fashion Ideas
I took to the streets (AKA: PINTEREST) and started my research.
Leggings: Leggings are a pregnant woman’s best friend. Solid colored and thick are the best investment. Do not go dropping money on the maternity style unless you just love that crazy panel thing that goes over the belly. Leggings are stretchy, comfy, can double as PJ's when needed... and they are still socially acceptable.
**There’s a law that comes with leggings though: Your Baby Delivery Parts should to be covered. That means that your sweater or top under layer should cover the lady-bits!
Faux Leather Leggings: Pair them with a long fitted solid colored cow neck top, long, flowy sweater vest and boots.
Solid Colored Long Sleeved Tops: Classic white, black, burgundy, dark green, blue, etc. These will pair well with leggings or pants and you can top them with sweaters, vests, cardigans, or just a scarf!
Umm… who is she? I want to live in her closet.
Boot Socks, Cuffs, or Leg Warmers: How something so simple can make you feel so trendy just amazes me.
Coat: You may want to invest in a coat that will be able to zip your belly!